With an appetite for pancakes on a rainy morning, I embarked on mission to make it using my smoothie machine and without dairy (I had almond milk to use and I had ran out of eggs).
So using what I had my disposal I made these delicious fluffy orange pancakes, which had a beautiful citrus smell from the orange zest incorporated into the batter. Furthermore, with my waste not mentality I used the juice of the orange to make my orange syrup and topped the pancakes with fresh raspberries which complemented the overall taste with their tartness flavor.
For those who are not vegan, you can use this recipe with regular milk, remove the baking powder and replace with 1 egg.
Don’t worry if you do not have a smoothie maker, you should get similar results using a blender or food processor.
Enjoy and let me know how it went for you.
Prep time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 30 mins Makes: 6-8 medium pancakes.
1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of milk (I used almond milk for my recipe)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 table spoons of light brown sugar or agave nectar
1 table spoon olive oil
Pinch of salt
1 orange zest
Oil for greasing pan
Juice of 1 orange ( ¾ of orange juice)
2 table spoon honey/agave nectar
- Grate the zest of the orange and place half of it in the food processor/smoothie maker and keep the rest for later.
- Extract the juice from the orange and keep to the side.
- Add the flour, baking powder, milk, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and oil to the orange zest in the food processor and blend until all ingredients have combined smooth. (If the mixture is too thick to blend add 2 teaspoons of water)
- Warm the pan on low-medium heat and brush with oil. Once the pan is hot, add the batter to the pan into your required sizes. When bubbles start to form on the surface, turn over and cook the other side until golden brown. Remove and repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Once all the pancakes have been cooked, lower the heat under the pan to low then add the orange juice and honey. Allow to boil and reduce down until it has syrup constancy (it drips slowly of the spoon with a thick glossy texture)
- Plate up your pancakes and sprinkle the orange zest you kept to side onto, top with raspberries and the orange syrup to your taste.