Rhubarb, I found has formed a love-hate relationship with everyone I know. However, when I started to notice the colourful hues of rhubarb catching my eye in the fruit isles of nearly every supermarket, I knew it was time to make a cake that could change the minds of my family towards it. After presenting the finished bake to them, it was not long before all that was remained was an empty plate decorated with crumbs. I had completed my mission in winning them over; with the added bonus that they couldn’t tell that it was plant-based. Yes, that’s right, this fluffy, fruity, spiced rhubarb cake, bursting full of flavour is vegan and plant-based diet friendly.
We even enjoyed ours with my coconut ice cream.
Prep Time: 25 mins Cooking Time: 50 mins Serves: 8-10 slices
200g Self-raising flour
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
100g Brown sugar
115ml Sunflower oil
200ml Almond milk (or dairy-free milk of your choice)
3 tbsp Agave Nectar or Honey (Keep 1 table spoon for drizzling)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp dried ginger
250g of Chopped Fresh or Frozen Rhubarb (Keep 5og for the topping)
1 tbsp of oats
1 tsp. Granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to gas 4/ 180°C /fan 160°C. Grease and line the base of 1 x 23cm Diameter (9″) 8cm (3”) H loose-bottomed cake tin. Note – It’s not necessary for the tin to be round, however make sure the tin is deep, this will ensure the cake rises and not overflow at the sides.
- Whisk the milk, oil, vanilla extract, mixed spice, ginger, sugar, agave nectar (or honey) together in a bowl.
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate soda into the liquid mixture and mix together.
- Stir in 200g of rhubarb, and keep 50g for the topping.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle the dried oats on top. Add the remaining rhubarb and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
- Place in the oven and cook for 50 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then remove and drizzle with the remaining agave nectar or honey.
Serve hot with your favourite ice cream, or enjoy as snack.
Want the coconut recipe?….its available here