Born in London, yet to experience the hustle and bustle of borough market until last week when I found myself looking for organic honeycomb for a food design project. I entered with Google maps directing me to the exact spot of the honey store, From Field to Flower and once I had purchased my honeycomb product I finally looked up. I was incredibly impressed because until then my senses had blocked out its surrounded and I finally gathered the scent of cheeses, fresh bread and sweet fruit. I began to wonder and embrace the market, looking, smelling, and tasting. I left a vegetable stall with Romanesco broccoli; a bunch of white and yellow carrots with stalks (as they should be) and purple radishes only to return another day. The Romanesco was £1! Sourdough baguette for £2.50.
With the winter sunset turning the sky violet it was only wise to turn my beautiful Romanesco into a vegetable broth. A light but flavoursome winter warmer seasoned with fresh herbs to join the sourdough baguette I picked up on my departure from borough market and left over roasted radishes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4
2 tablespoons of oil
1 onion finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 medium Romanesco separated into small florets
4 carrots roughly chopped
600 ml water
150g frozen peas
5 Radishes roasted and chopped (optional)
Herbs & Seasoning
Fresh Sage chopped
Fresh Parsley chopped
- Fry the onions on medium heat until they become translucent, then add the chopped garlic the fresh herbs and salt.
- Add the carrots and the romanesco, fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 50ml of the water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining water, lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning, then add the red pepper corns, pepper and salt (if needed).
- Pour in the frozen peas and roasted radishes, simmer for another 10minutes or until the carrots are soft.