I welcomed additional sunlight hours in spring by planting a few seeds, which I witnessed blossom from tiny seedlings pushing their way through the soil to youthful fruit and vegetables that I have began to harvest. Now that winter is steadily approaching, I am still fortunate to have an abundance of courgettes/zucchini. So for the last week I have been adding them to everything, and surprise surprise, my turkey taco mince. My turkey tacos are normally a quick and easy eat before or after a gym session, also its even better when I have friends around.
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes Serves: 4
250g Mince turkey
200g Courgettes/zucchini grated
Juice of half a lemon
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Dried Sage
1 tsp Dried Parsley
1 tsp Smoked paprika
1 Finely chopped onion
1 Clove of garlic finely chopped
1 tbsp Oil
Soft flour tacos
Washed and sliced Romaine lettuce
1 Large tomato cubed/chopped
1 Red onion finely chopped
1 tbsp Tabasco sauce
1 tsp of white vinegar
1 sprig of chopped parsley
Salt (to taste)
Ground White Pepper (to taste)
Optional to serve
Tortilla chip (warm in the oven for 2-3 minutes before serving)
- After grating the courgette/zucchini place in a sieve and press down to extract as much water from it.
- Add the turkey mince, drained courgette/zucchini and mix together.
- Mix in the chopped garlic and the dried seasoning, before set aside to make your spicy salsa.
- Spicy salsa– add all the ingredients to a serving bowl and mix together. Taste for seasoning, add your salt and pepper to taste, once its great, set aside in the refrigerator.
- Place your soft flour tacos in foil and warm in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (180°C for fan assisted ovens)/gas mark 4 for 10-15 minutes
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and add a sprinkle of salt. Once the oil is hot add the turkey mince and cook for 10 minutes, breaking up any lumps with the back of a wooden spoon. Spoon the contents into a serving dish, to avoid it sitting in juice.
- Serve the turkey mince, stacked tortillas and salsa with your cream sauce of choice and warm tortilla chips.