These densely chocolatey cookies are dedicated to gluten, wheat free buddies.
The best thing was discovering free from dark chocolate (dairy, wheat and gluten free) and organic coconut flour that I stumbled on whilst shopping in Lidl! Yes for £1.69 I was incredibly surprised at the low price and grabbed 2 bags without knowing what to do with it. However, after a few unsuccessful attempts of making various muffins and cakes, I finally got somewhere.
So, the texture of this cookies is very dense, it’s not a gooey soft cookie, it’s more like a shortbread without the butter. Out of the oven and still warm we dipped ours into out almond ice cream and it was also great crumbled onto top of our dairy free yogurt teamed with fresh fruit.
Serves: 14 (maybe more, but we were eating them before I could do an initial count)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
125g Coconut flour
25g cocoa powder
½ tsp of salt
½ tsp of bicarbonate soda
½ tsp of mixed spice
100g of gluten free chocolate
150g of sugar
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium eggs
- Combine the coconut flour, coco powder, salt, bicarbonate soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Break the chocolate into pieces in a separate heatproof bowl and sit in a bowl of boiled water. Allow to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Once the chocolate has melted, remove from the bowl from the water and add the coconut oil, olive oil, sugar and mixed spice to the melted chocolate. Stir, before adding the eggs. Whisk until all is combined (preferably with an electric whisk).
- Add the chocolate mix to the dry ingredients until it forms a firm dough.
- Place into cling film, roll to a sausage form and place in the fridge for 20 minutes to cool down.
- Preheat the oven to 180 c /gas mark 4. Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Once the dough has cooled, cut into even shapes and place on the prepared baking sheet leaving space between them.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes then remove from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes. The cookies will be soft when that come out of the oven but will become firm once the cool down.
Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days.